Home / Announcements / BNP Paribas wins Green Apple Award for work at Google HQ
Image CC credit:Selma Broeder

BNP Paribas wins Green Apple Award for work at Google HQ

BNP Paribas Real Estate has won a Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice after boosting recycling rates across its managed central London portfolio, including Google’s new King’s Cross HQ.

In partnership with waste management company Bywaters, BNP Paribas Real Estate implemented a new recycling and resource management strategy across 35 major London properties, including landmark buildings such as Tower 42, EC2, and 6 Pancras Square, which was developed by BNP Paribas Real Estate and occupied by Google earlier this year.

The new strategy has enabled BNP Paribas Real Estate’s team to increase the recycling rate from its managed London portfolio from 48 per cent to 67 per cent in 2016, and to reduce the amount of material sent to landfill to zero. The remaining 33 per cent of the 520 tonnes of waste generated each month is turned into electricity at a waste to energy plant.

At 6 Pancras Square, which is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate on behalf of AXA IM – Real Assets, 85 per cent of the waste material that is produced by Google is recycled. At another property, BNP Paribas Real Estate saw recycling rates rise to 92 per cent in just two months of concerted, targeted effort.

The initiative includes Bywaters’ latest waste management technology, Weightron, which allows tenants to understand, manage and track their own waste. So far, Bywaters has diverted 4,382 tonnes of waste from landfill this year.

Nick Hillard, head of sustainability at BNP Paribas Real Estate, said:

“As a responsible real estate business we strive to reduce our environmental impact and to help deliver strategies for our clients and their tenants, some of the world’s largest global occupiers, to do the same.

“By introducing circular economy aspects into the resource management strategy for our London portfolio, we were able to identify innovative opportunities to deliver sustainability improvements. This in turn has ensured that BNP Paribas Real Estate, our clients and occupiers achieve their corporate responsibility objectives.”

BNP Paribas Real Esate will find out if it has won a gold, silver or bronze Green Apple Award at a presentation ceremony on Friday (11 November) at The Houses of Parliament, Westminster.

 

 

 

About Sarah OBeirne

Avatar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*