RICS research highlights the business cost of ineffective facilities management
Research released today suggests that UK businesses could be losing out on savings of nearly £1 billion, as a result of their failure to adopt a more effective approach to facilities management.
Conducted by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the research found that around 26 per cent of organisations in the UK are still not taking a strategic approach when it comes to FM – a business discipline that involves the co-ordination of space, people, resources and property within an organisation. It suggests that those organisations using FM in a strategic capacity could be saving themselves as much as £120,000 on average.
As a result of its findings, the RICS suggests that a reluctance to invest in, and embed a dedicated FM programme within an organisation – an approach it calls ‘Strategic FM’ (SFM) – means that many businesses and public sector organisations could be missing out on huge cost saving opportunities.
To accompany their findings and to support professionals in implementing SFM in their own organisation, the RICS has developed a series of top tips.
- Ensure that you are fully aware of your organisation’s overall mission statement and business objectives with a view to developing an SFM approach that supports in their delivery.
- Put measures in place to capture accurate data which will enhance strategic decision making when it comes to FM – data on operating costs, repair costs, utilisation levels and environmental performance are key.
- Ensure that FM is represented at a strategic level when organisational policies and frameworks are being developed – this will ensure that the right facilities can be provided in the right locations at the right cost and quality, supporting organisations in meeting key objectives.
- Use internal communications networks to get a view of the operational requirements of your organisation and build relationships with key operational managers who can help you deliver an effective FM strategy.
- Access the abundance of resources, information and qualifications that are out there – all geared towards the professionalising of FM and enhancing of its vital importance as a strategic discipline.
For further information the RICS’ products and services relating to Strategic FM, visit www.rics.org/uk/tag/facilities-management/