Home / Lone Workers / Majority of companies have had a lone worker incident in the past three years

Majority of companies have had a lone worker incident in the past three years

New research from lone worker solution, StaySafe, has found the majority of companies (68 per cent) have experienced an incident involving a lone worker in the past three years, with a fifth of these incidents described as severe or very severe. In addition, nearly a quarter of staff feel unsafe at least once a year.

StaySafe surveyed over 1,300 lone workers and health and safety executives in the ‘The Lone Worker Landscape Report 2021’. This research aims, for the first time, to uncover the disparities between the opinions of employers and the lone workers themselves with the hope that, through greater understanding, the levels of protection given to lone workers can be improved.

The research finds that incidents relating to external factors including accidents, ill health, aggression and violence make up 41 per cent of recorded lone worker incidents, with the rest (59 per cent) involving stress, mental health issues and tiredness.

Manual, traditionally-male dominated industries have higher rates of incidents overall, with 76 per cent of utilities, telco and construction companies experiencing an incident with a lone worker in the last three years. Sixty-six per cent of FM, property and estate agents had reported an incident in the last three years, closely followed by housing and local authorities at 65 per cent. Charities, social services and the NHS recorded the lowest number of incidents (59 per cent), which may be linked to both the nature of the roles, the increased levels of training in these industries and company culture.The research showed that this group conducted the most training with 60 per cent holding briefings on regulatory requirements relating to lone working. There could also be an issue with under-reporting in these industries.

Only around a third (36 per cent) of lone workers have expressed their safety concerns to their employer. However, companies seem unaware that lone workers are failing to report these concerns, with nearly all (92 per cent) believing that their lone workers are speaking to them regularly about any incidents and concerns.

Don Cameron, CEO of StaySafe, commented: “The considerable under-reporting of hazards is a major concern for health and safety executives, particularly as they seem unaware that their staff aren’t having these conversations. Under-reporting can lead to employers under-estimating the real level of risk faced by staff on a daily basis and failing to put in the necessary protective measures to prevent accidents or incidents.”

According to the research, the majority of companies (83 per cent) took action following a lone worker incident, usually through improved training or additional protective measures. However, a significant minority of companies (17 per cent) took no action at all. In addition, the research indicates that companies are often overestimating how well they have dealt with hazards or incidents. Seventy-eight per cent of executives say that they have addressed their employees’ concerns to a great or fair extent, with only 45 per cent of lone workers agreeing.

Cameron added: “We can see when it comes to reporting incidents, companies on the whole are doing the right thing. However, the research shows that health and safety executives can only take appropriate action when they are aware of safety concerns or potential risks and hazards that lone workers may face. It’s clear that there is a high rate of lone worker incidents, many of which are severe, and health and safety executives have to focus on preventing these before they happen by ensuring that they understand the safety concerns of their staff.”

Last-mile customer engagement isn’t out of reach

“Customer engagement” has become a buzzword in the facilities management sector. Typically, it’s talked about as something radical and transformative – which can make it sound expensive, intimidating and overwhelming.

While customer engagement can be transformative for service providers, it isn’t out of reach. It’s the surprisingly simple secret ingredient in your recipe for standing out, streamlining operations and satisfying everyone involved.

Localz has produced a free eBook explaining how you can make the last mile, and the entire day of service, awesome.

To download the eBook click here.

About Sarah OBeirne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *