Six London businesses have been recognised as the capital’s best workplaces at the BCO Regional Awards.
The BCO Awards programme recognises the highest quality developments in the UK and sets the standard for excellence in the regional and national office sector.
The winning workplaces are as follows:
- Best Corporate Workplace – Facebook at Rathbone Square – The development is a high quality, people-focused space built for a variety of uses, including residential and retail use alongside its function as an office. The development is centred around a lively central public square, which sits at the heart of the space and welcomes in the world outside. The judges praised the ‘experience’ created inside the office, which delivers a unique design that strongly represents the Facebook brand.
- Best Commercial Workplace – 2 Television Centre (2TVC) – The judges were impressed with the collaboration demonstrated throughout the project that has allowed the creation of a new television centre between two historic studio buildings. The site now serves as both a part of the residential offering and the new BBC offices. The BCO judges felt the architecture of the exterior reflected the site’s history, while the interior delivered a flexible and sustainable space, fit for a modern workforce.
- Best Fit Out of a Workplace – Deloitte HQ – 1 New Street Square – The refurbishment of Deloitte’s London Headquarters has created a new space for the business that drives efficiency, enables flexibility and improves connectivity between colleagues. The judges noted the office helps Deloitte attract and retain talent, with improved amenities and smart technology integrated throughout. The BCO judging panel were also impressed by the building’s sustainability and wellness accreditation, with the project achieving an outstanding BREEAM score and WELL Gold certification.
- Best Refurbished / Recycled Workplace – Boden Head Office – The judges were struck by the remarkable transformation of two adjacent industrial buildings into a single, creative and collaborative hub for the online retailer. The judges praised the creation of a single town hall, formed by combining the two buildings, which provides Boden with an area where all staff can gather within minutes.
- Best Project up to 1,500m² – Project North – The project challenged how office environments should work and feel and the result is a workplace that allows the concepts of work and play to sit side-by-side in a relaxed new space. The judges were impressed with the use of a workplace psychologist to manage staff feedback at the beginning of the project. The result of that collaboration is a flexible space that has delivered a tangible impact on employees’ wellness and productivity.
- Innovation – Fora Borough – In a fast-developing area of the city, Fora differentiates its workplace offer with a focus on thoughtful design and customer service. The project is now being used to benchmark subsequent locations, so every Fora delivers “spaces to be brilliant.” The judges praised the openness of the ground floor, which hosts a café and restaurant and helps to build a community between the office and its neighbourhood.
Phil Breeden, Director at Mace Cost Consultancy and Regional Judging Chair for the BCO London Chapter commented: “The quality of submissions for this year’s awards was outstanding and certainly made our job on the judging panel a challenging one.
“All of the entrants focused on client needs and delivered above and beyond their briefs to create workplaces genuinely unique to their tenants. This afternoon’s winners all delivered workplaces that not only demonstrated what brilliant offices can deliver for the businesses they house but exhibited how business can benefit the wider community – wherever that may be.”
Yesterday’s ceremony marked the third of the BCO Regional Property Awards dedicated to London, celebrating the best office space in the country. London winners will compete with those from other regions at the BCO National Awards in October this year.
Join 12,000 other FMs from over 46 countries at ExCeL London from the 18-20 June 2019. You and your team will learn from skilled trainers in CPD-accredited seminars and workshops at the only IWFM supported exhibition. You’ll test, trial and source smart solutions across technology, cleaning, FM services, waste and energy management. You’ll meet enthusiastic suppliers to identify new collaborations. By registering, you’ll also gain access to three neighbouring shows to enhance your specialisms across fire, security and health and safety. Get your free ticket for Facilities Show.