Home / Construction / Balfour Beatty signs 54-year partnership deal with University of Sussex
Artist impression of the new West Slope Residences

Balfour Beatty signs 54-year partnership deal with University of Sussex

International infrastructure group, Balfour Beatty, has partnered with the University of Sussex to finance, build and operate new student accommodation project – the West Slope Residences.

Balfour Beatty Investments has signed a 54-year contract and will invest equity of £32 million, 81 per cent of the project equity, with the University of Sussex acting as a co-investor providing the remaining 19 per cent. In addition, Balfour Beatty Investments has provided the funding strategy with £171 million of wrapped bond financing being raised through a private placement.

The project will provide 1,899 bedrooms together with a new Health and Wellbeing Centre, as well as catering and retail facilities for students.

Throughout construction, Balfour Beatty will use modular construction techniques, to build the modular steel frame and bedroom units offsite and in a controlled factory environment, significantly reducing carbon emissions by limiting the number of lorry movements and material deliveries to and from site. Following completion, Balfour Beatty Investments will maintain the accommodation for the duration of the contract.

Ion Appuhamy, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty Investments, said: “The West Slope Residences is the most ambitious development programme the University of Sussex has undertaken in recent years, and will significantly contribute to and enhance the student experience.

“Building on the success of the East Slope Residences project which we completed back in 2020, we now look forward to providing an additional campus for students whilst simultaneously showcasing our extensive experience in the design, funding and construction of high-quality accommodation and amenities.”

Allan Spencer, Executive Director (Special Capital Projects), at the University of Sussex, said: “I am delighted that we are expanding our partnership with Balfour Beatty. This project is critical to the University’s future success, ensuring all new students can live on campus. Securing this significant investment in our campus is a major milestone for the University and will deliver a key element of our ambitious Capital Programme, enhancing the experience of our students and staff through new accommodation and facilities.”

Construction is already underway with the student accommodation due to be ready for the start of the 2026/27 academic year. At construction peak, Balfour Beatty will employ 450 people including c.50 apprentice and graduate roles as part of its commitment to The 5% Club.

Eptura 2023 Workplace Index 

Over the past year, Eptura has used proprietary data and commissioned research to explore how business leaders can balance opposing demands.

In this final summary report on the state of the workplace in 2023, the global worktech leader looks at the key insights that will shape the world of work in 2024 and beyond.

For the Q4 edition of the 2023 Workplace Index, Eptura updated its proprietary data across four demands:

  • Freedom and Connection
  • Value creation and Cost Control
  • Flexibility and Certainty
  • CO2 Targets and Costs

To download the report click here.


About Sarah OBeirne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *